James Hunnicutt IPI Founder
Jim Hunnicutt was a pioneer in parking and transportation, and began his career in Chicago after graduating from the Yale Bureau of Highway Traffic in 1954 and earning a degree in civil engineering from Auburn University in 1950. He continued from Chicago to Nashville, Tenn., where he became general manager of the Nashville Parking Board. While in Nashville, he became one of the founders of the International Municipal Parking Congress (now IPI). Jim served as president of IPI and was selected as Parking Man of the Year in 1976.
After Nashville, he went to Maryland, serving as chief of the Montgomery County Bureau of Parking, which was the second largest municipal parking authority in the nation at that time. He then began his private consulting practice in 1966. His company merged with Allan Davis Associates in 1995, which is now a division of Tighe & Bond Consulting Engineers, from which he retired.
Jim ran his private practice, Hunnicutt & Associates, Bethesda, Md., for more than 30 years. There, he specialized in parking services that included some of the world’s largest airports, including O’Hare in Chicago, SeaTac in Seattle, Baltimore/Washington International, Dallas’ Love Field, Pittsburgh International Airport, Schiphol in Amsterdam, Frankfurt am Main Airport, and many more. He also redesigned the then-new Fleet Center parking for the Boston Celtics.
James M. Hunnicutt’s contributions to the parking industry cannot be overestimated. He was a charismatic, personable, and funny person who traveled to more than 300 countries during his lifetime. He was a World War II veteran who served in the U.S. Navy in the Philippines, a patriot, and a loving father.
Article Courtesy International Parking Institute.