Carl Walker, Inc.
The twin, 22-story buildings are located along the Chicago River in downtown
Chicago. Adjacent to Chicago Union Station, the buildings were constructed
directly above the railroad tracks and platforms. The multi-year project
required careful phasing to maintain pedestrian traffic flow to and around
the building during construction. The restoration included waterproofing
repairs, installation of new planters, paving, and lighting systems, and
additional green space and seating along the riverfront property.
• Leaking in occupied space below, including the railroad tracks and passenger platforms
• Diesel engine exhaust fumes from trains in work space
• Multiple permit applications and coordination with Amtrak/Metra operations
• Isolated but significant structural distress
• Unforeseen buried conditions
• Difficult drainage conditions
• Maintaining construction schedule with waterproofing materials sensitive to temperature and moisture during application
Project team: Carl Walker, Inc., structural engineer; Daniel Weinbach
& Partners, landscape architect; KJWW Engineering Consultants, electrical/
plumbing engineer; Takao Nagai Concrete Restoration, contractor.
Contact: Carl Walker, Inc.
5136 Lovers Lane, Suite 200
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49002